Did you ever experience bone-chilling cold during a bright sunny day? Well, it can be chilly even during summer when you’re kayaking in the middle of a large lake.Wearing inappropriate clothing can be a huge drawback when you’re kayaking.
Like most other outdoor activities, you need to wear the right clothes so that you can enjoy to the fullest. It will allow you to move comfortably and stay keep you safe from sunburns or frostbites. If you’re planning your next kayaking trip then read through the article to get some ideas that you can follow based on your climate condition.
The Necessity to Wear Appropriate Clothes for Kayaking
Wearing the appropriate clothing will let you enjoy to the maximum while keeping you safe from any calamities. Even trained kayakers can experience unfortunate events if they’re not dressed properly for the sport. Wearing proper cloths will help you move flexibly and paddle without any hindrance as well.
The cloths will keep you safe from shivering colds and also keep you away from the scorching rays of the sun. Before you proceed with the trip, always keep a note of the weather forecast and water temperature so that you can be well prepared for the trip.
Clothing for Kayaking
You might be wondering what to wear when kayaking. The kayak clothing you choose to wear can ensure that you have a positive as well as a safe kayak trip. You want kayak clothing that is going to be durable, versatile, and comfortable while you’re kayaking. Here are some suggestions regarding the clothes naturally kayaking people used to wear.
- Personal flotation device: The first piece of clothing you need is a PFD or personal flotation device. You always want to be wearing a life jacket when you’re kayaking.
- Wetsuit: If you expect to be in cold conditions, then you need a wetsuit. If the water is 60 degrees Fahrenheit or going to be colder use a wetsuit.
- Moisture-wicking clothing: Cotton is a comfortable material, but it’s not suitable for kayaking. The reason for this is it gets quite heavy when it is wet. That’s why you should go with moisture-wicking clothing. You want the clothing to be quite comfortable while you’re wearing it and also that helps you to move around easily.
- Abrasion resistance: You may also want clothing that is abrasion-resistance. Sand can be abrasive on your clothing, so you want materials that can resist salt-water.
- Lycra: Lastly, Lycra can be an option for your clothing. These stretch well and are quick drying.
Water Shoes for Kayaking
Kayaking is known as one of the most fun and versatile water sports. Since the invention of this sport, kayaking shoes have become one of the most important accessories. Wearing appropriate shoes will make your kayaking experience super fun and hassle-free. Let’s check out the qualities that the water shoes for Kayaking should have.
Make sure that the fit is well-matched with the size of your kayak’s casing and there are no gaps on the side or top. This will open the way for water to come in. So, if you wear a wet shoe that can really make your trip uncomfortable.
Neoprene is the most common material used for kayaking shoes. It has all the qualities you need in a water sport shoe. It’s also lightweight, non-slippery, and comfortable. Manufacturers often use neoprene mixing with other materials such as titanium, to increase its durability and performance.
Wearing the wrong size shoe is a no-brainer. It’s not only an uncomfortable thing to deal with, but also puts you in a difficult situation especially in a wet environment. So, try to wear a kayaking shoe that feels natural to you.
What to Wear Kayaking in winter?
Kayaking in winter has its perks. When you’re kayaking in bone-chilling weather, you must wear appropriate clothing to refrain yourself from getting hypothermic.
- A dry suit is a must-have when you’re kayaking in winter. Drysuits are generally made with vulcanized rubber or laminated nylonto provide waterproof coverage. Also, they’re seated at the wrist, feet, and neck to stop water from getting in.
- If you’re prefer not piling up on cloths then wear a wetsuit as it can be worn directly against the skin. However, if the weather is too cold then you can wear a jacket on top of it to tackle the cold.
- Our head tends to release a lot of heat and wearing a thermal hat will help you retain the optimum body temperature. Always wear a thermal hat with a mask to stay protected from chilly winds.
- Wear waterproof gloves to keep your hands from freezing. Make sure that the gloves are comfortable with proper grip facility.
- Kayaking requires a lot of body movement. Make sure that you don’t wear anything bulky that will restrict your movements.
What to Wear Kayaking in summer?
Many people think that they don’t need any special clothing when they’re kayaking in summer. However, it’s highly important that you wear something comfy to avoid the risks of getting sunburn or heat rash.
- Wear clothing that provides coverage to stay safe from the sunburns. Try to wear clothes with UV resistance, fast-drying, and well ventilation properties.
- Avoid wearing cotton clothes as they take longer to dry and retains moisture.
- Sunglasses are a must-have item when you’re kayaking during summer. When the sunlight reflects on the water it may irritate the eyes and can cause temporary blindness.
- Always wear sunscreen to stay protected from the scorching heat of the sun. Make sure that you reapply every few hours if you’re kayaking for a long time. Also, buy a waterproof sunscreen to ensure that it’ll not wear off when you come in contact with the water.
It’s important that you dress based on the weather, wind, and temperature as all of them have an influence over it. Before you go on the trip, get a proper understanding of the weather condition to dress accordingly. Make sure that you take proper precautions and wear appropriate clothes to make your kayak trip a successful and memorable one.